Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 2, Guaimaca, Honduras

It's our first day of surgeries at the Hospital Bautista de Guaimaca in Honduras. We were able to open the ORs after church (which is on the property) and did 7 big surgeries, 4 minors (like circumcisions and the like.)

Yesterday was rather fun as we have about 6 1st year med students and about as many college students who are deciding if they want to have a future in medicine or not. I got to teach 13 of them how to start IV's, (even those headed for Seminary) and was very proud of them as they shrieked and laughed, starting them on. The college students started and the word spread, next thing I was coaching them with all the Med students watching their first IV starts. No pressure there! I told them they were all going to show me up when the real patients showed up tomorrow but thankfully I got all my IV's as well :-) Whew!

Eli stabs Hope
 


I also had the fun of running both the preop areas (which looks very much like a garage) and the post ops. All of them. Males in one room, females in another, 6 beds to a ward. That was 12 patients today, for any of you girls from work who feel like I've skipped out on working this weekend. It was so much fun though. It's been awhile (since the ship) that I've taken care of kiddies and these Honduran kiddos are so stinking cute! All smiles and giggles and quite easily made to laugh, even postoperatively.

Tomorrow we've got 12 cases scheduled, including a prostatectomy, a thyroidectomy, an open cholecystectomy, several lap ones, hernia repairs, and circumcisions (on the littlest ones. Apparently they only do that once the kiddos can't weewee. Poor little things. I'm glad we're here.)

The great thing has been being able to pray with the patients before surgeries, being able to speak to them in their language, calm their fears, making them laugh before surgeries and at least giving them a familiar face to look at when they awake. The little ones can't help but just cry for awhile but once they're feeling better, they're good to go! I had a 22 month old who closed out his day by wee weeing all over 3 beds, gave me a high five and got to go home...and I got to mop. Fun times!!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Fun reading your blog. Hope its a good day for you. Love you, Mom