Thursday, October 13, 2011

a lili Krio lesson

Krio is the main language in Sierra Leone, so I thought I'd share my nursing hit list of top sayings:

Me name na Lycia (my name is Lycia)

Nami na u nurse disnight (I'm your nurse tonight)

I do ken teki blud presah (I am going to check your blood pressure)

Ah do come put iV pa yu (I'm going to put an IV for you)

It is for watah en mereson in de vein (It's to put water and medicine in your vein)

U wan vomeet? (Are you gonna vomit?)

U do feel chuck? or Yu 'ead de turn? (Are you dizzy)

U no for wear nuting under de gown! (don't put your nasty clothes on under your hospital gown now that i've finally gotten you scrubbed off... awww. nuts. rinse, lather, repeat. )

U get for eat small small after de operation (Eat slowly after the operation)

Ah no understand. (my favorite line)

Whatina u age? Ah no believe yu, yu pass dat! (What's your age, I don't believe you, you're past that!)

Ah wan go eat. (Hungry!)

Ah get for learn bucoup (I have lots to learn!)

At the market:

Ou mus fod' material (How much for the material?)

D' material na 5,000 leones (It's 5,000 leones)

It too day, bring d' price dong (It's too expensive, bring the price down!)

Ah no JC (I didn't just come/ I'm not an idiot)    Love that one!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Love how some of it sounds like english, but it's so not =) And, now you can say you are tri-lingual! (or close to it) =)

Love you!

Mom said...

Wow, I'm impressed, I think I could learn that too. Oumiue is next to me and reading the new language that she is also acquiring. Good show girl. I tried to call you last night, but no one at home. Love you lots, Mom

Dee said...

OMGosh, that's great. You'll have to teach me when you get home. hehe