Monday, May 28, 2012

VVF

  One of the surgeries performed onboard the Africa Mercy is a vasico-vaginal fistula repair. This surgery is done in response to a desperate need in Africa that usually is required after a set of horrific circumstances. The ladies who undergo this surgery have a fistula - a hole - between their urethras and vaginas - caused by prolonged childbirth. Now, when I say prolonged childbirth, I'm talking 3 days, 4 days, 6 days, 7 days of labour. Can you even imagine. Miles and miles away from medical help, these ladies go into labour and every case results in a stillbirth, as no baby can survive being in the birth canal that long. The physiological effects on the mother is that the pressure form the baby's head has cut off the circulation to the tissues around the birth canal and after the horror and pain of the labour is finished, the grief-stricken woman now also discovers that she is leaking uring.

  In African culture, community is everything. In the States you can do an admirable effort at hiding such a condition - there's Depends, people live very isolated from each other anyways, so there's ways and ways around. Here in Africa, you walk leaking urine, a very strong-smelling infected urine and the women promptly get ostracized, laughed away from other people and can't take place in normal life. Sellers in the markets won't sell to them, husbands usually divorce and leave them. It's even a question on our admission sheet for Mercy Ships because the majority have now been abandoned.

How long was your labour? Answers usually 3-7 days
Did the baby survive? Never. Ever.
Did your husband leave you after you discovered you were leaking? About 3/4ths of admissions.
How long have you been leaking? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years. 15 years.

Enter Mercy Ships and the grace of God. The ladies are admitted for surgery and undergo their procedures. Then comes the waiting period to see if they are dry before discharge. The Africa Mercy has the most beautiful, beautiful way of celebrating these women once they are discharged. There is a Dress Ceremony onboard where each lady is given a new, beautiful dress, her hair and makeup done and are given a new lease on life. They are affirmed for the creatures God made them to be and their value and worth reiterated.

I can't listen to these women's testimonies without crying my eyes out. They usually go something to the effect of, "I was in labour for 8 days, my baby died and came out in pieces. To my horror then I discovered I was leaking and have been leaking for 12 years. My husband left me too because he could not handle the smell. But now by the grace of God I am dry and I thank papa God for seeing me in my distress." These ceremonies are loud, boisterous occasions, with guitars, clapping, stomping of feet, dancing, african drums, tears, hugs and smiles. There are no words really. Thanks be to God.

Here are some of our lovely ladies.




"I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalms 139: 13-15






pictures by Mercy Ships. http://www.mercyships.org/

4 comments:

Angela said...

Wow - what amazing testimonies and stories! So wonderful to see how God has His thumbprints all over Mercy Ships ministries and your daily life. Love you!!!!

Robbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robbie said...

Lycia, it is such a blessing to see how the Lord is using you as he heals these women and others on the Mercy Ships. I'm just SO thankful that God has given you a willing heart to serve these folks who otherwise might remain outcasts. Keep on serving! I miss you, but I'm glad you're having a good trip!

Mom said...

I have known about this situation after years of working as a midwife in Africa, and then being reminded through that book Half the Sky. I am so glad you have been able to see the "after" story for these ladies. Praying that their restoration to their communities will continue to bring healing to their lives, and that the Lord will be their guide and protector as they return to their homes and families. Such beautiful women.