Monday, September 5, 2011

Cuddle time, 30 minutes, three times daily

  We've decided as nurses to go ahead and presume for the order on the charts for the children- seeing's we just about fit it in anyways.

  I have loved the last couple of shifts at work. Our general surgeon is leaving today and we're closing off the general surgery cycle- hernia repairs, hydrocelectomies, hemithyroidectomies and lipoma removals. So we've spent the last few shifts (in the evening) just having fun. Two nights ago, for example, one kid from Germany brought down his guitar to the unit and the staff proceeded to entertain the patients with every raucous praise song we could think of. One of our day volunteers completely took us aback as he busted out the rap! Out came the bongo drums, the children put on their tiny sunglasses and hats and we were all just dancing. Heehee. So wouldn't get away with that at home :-)

  I had a rather sheepish moment when one rather official-looking chap walked onto the unit. Now, i'm the charge nurse and probably am supposed to have some level of dignity but I've found here that the charge nurses are usually the ringleaders in troublemaking, so I fit right in :-) Anyways, this chap had a pink gift bag and (after finishing our song) asked him if he needed any help. He said he was looking for "Lisha van der...(pause)..." and so now I'm good and confused... turns out he's Auntie Cheryl Mackey's neighbor from Van, Texas and he's brought me a gift bag of goodies for my birthday! Thank you auntie Cheryl!!!! He works at Mercy Ship's Headquarters and was coming over to Sierra Leone so now my roomies and I have a chocolate stash! Yeah!!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I am so glad - what fun - and I wonder what he was thinking when you turned out to be the object of his search. Yay Cheryl.....