Thursday, September 1, 2011

A goat and two chickens

  Four lovely friends and I climbed into a poda-poda headed off to John Obey beach today, gamely heading out through the pelting rain in hopes for a sunny beach. We were amply rewarded with few showers and enough sunshine to turn me pink. Very nice.

  The adventure though is usually in the getting there or getting back. Going there, I did a double take as I leaned forward to tap the shoulder of my friend sitting in front of me, "Dude, there's a chicken napping at your feet." Sure enough, swinging merrily away in a grocery bag hanging on the railing in front of her, a happily snoozing chicken. Little did it know its days are probably numbered and was probably a tasty supper tonight for somebody.

  On the way back, the back of the poda-poda gets opened, and a tiny goat gets tied to the back of the last seat. Then another dude climbs in, holding a vehemently squawking chicken. Rather funny 'cause every time the taxi door slid open or shut, the chicken would voice it's opinion on the matter. So we giggled the whole way back anytime we had a stop. The goat got out across from the Osman Tolo shops as we continued on to Savage Square, where our ship is docked.

  Lovin' me this cross-cultural experience.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I love it - chickens and a goat.... I haven't done the goat thing ever, yet....