Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Hope Center

Robbie, in response to the "so how does that work?" question; you get all wet, switch off the water, scrub, switch on the water, rinse. No rinse, lather, repeat.... :-)

Had a great off-board adventure today. Off the docks and down the street from the Africa Mercy is the Hope Center, where patients who are from far away stay until their follow up appointments. From tiny babies to old men. Mats on the floors, lots of netting to keep the mozzies at bay (everybody here routinely has malaria, who knew.) I was rather terrified of going off the ship so I got it out of the way when my roommate invited me to go with her after supper.

You get there, and hoardes of tiny little children suddenly appear and you become their personal playground and monkey bars. Teeny little ones with the most original cast creations.... one particularly ingeneous physical therapist has been creating casts out of discarded car tires - and strapping them to feet, legs, etc. So half a Michelin tire climbs up your back, all of them covered in the stickers that an English girl brought with her. They just giggle putting the stickers on themselves, then all over me, then back onto each other. One little boy James pulls off my ID tag, which has a picture of the ship on the back, points and says, "Mercy Ship! Up! Up!" To which my roommate knew immediately and explained how they take the patients after their surgeries to the 7th deck where they can play and get some fresh air. This little one had obviously found the toys on the 7th deck. Lovely!! My cup runneth over after playing with them for a few hours.

First day on the ward tomorrow! It's more being afraid of the unknown that has me quivering at this point, but ready to attack it. God has been so good. I will write more of the stories I see and hear about. One lady literally had me sobbing into my cereal this morning describing the removal of bandages off 2 year old's eyes after cataract surgery and her shrieks of joy at suddenly being able to see.

6 comments:

Mom said...

wOW, HONEY sounds amazing. A 2 year old with cataracts - how is that possible? Thanks for sharing - it's so lovely to get up in the am before going to work and reading your updates. will email you soon. Hope this day is special, and that you quickly grasp the routine....

Leslie Greer said...

It sounds like the people are extremely grateful for the work you and the others are doing. You are creating miracles for them through Him. I am praying for you.
Leslie

Joel said...

Lycia, what a great image: kids with creative casts crowding around while you play with them. I'm praying that you'll be reminded of God's great mercy for you as you extend that mercy to those you serve on the ship. Thanks for the update.

Angela said...

"So, half a Michelin tire climbs up your back, all of them covered in stickers...." LOL

You are in your element, girlie. And I am not the only one who should be writing a book. ::wink wink nudge nudge::

A

Karita said...

Girl, you have such a way of describing your experiences. I LOVE reading your stories. You have me laughing and crying!!!!!

CC said...

Lycia...this is touching. I was jus reading it and I teared up. I love you!