Monday, July 18, 2011

one Giant leap off the sane train

"Tell Him tenke, tell Him
Tell Papa God tenke"   -  Krio praise song

   My desire before leaving to come to the Africa Mercy and now on board is to see Jesus. It sounds absolutely crazy and that I've taken a step off the sane train, but I don't want to miss out on seeing him in the people here, in the stories of their lives. And just this Monday morning He's shown himself to me again and again, and it's not even 9 am yet. 
   He was in our praise this morning in the weekly communications forum. He was present in the large amount of people there - all here because he was brought us here, individually. That's nuts! I mean, there are over 400 people on board, from 40 different nations this week! He was there in the faces of friends and the well wishes for a good day all around. He was there in the love shown by Anna, one of my roommates, who spread aloe-vera on my sunburned back (souvenir from the beach trip to River #2 on Saturday).
  Even my devotions after pondering all that, is about seeing Him today. From Sarah Young's book Jesus Calling, "I am nearer than you think, richly present in all your moments." "Ask me to open your eyes, so that you can find me everywhere. The more aware you are of my presence, the safer you feel. This is not some sort of escape from reality; it is tuning in to ultimate reality. I am far more real than the world you can see, hear and touch."  - from the devotion for July 18th.
  And He is everywhere on the Africa Mercy. Way more of an adventure to step off the 'sane train' onto this bobbing ship. He'd just better hold my hand.

5 comments:

Karita said...

And because of you friend, sharing from Sara's devotional, He is even more present in my life today. I'm thanking Him for how He is so persistent with us...showing Himself all around us. I found it such a practical kick in the pants to actually pray for Him to open my eyes to see Him. duh! ;) Love that HE IS THE ULTIMATE REALITY. Needed His reality check today. Prayed just now for your night ahead...you keep running from peds nursing but "it" keeps finding you! ;) I miss you and love you! Thanks for sharing what you're hearing, seeing and feeling!

steph said...

I enjoyed that one this morning as well! You're not stepping off the sane train, you're getting a glimpse of the ultimate reality. "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Cor. 4:18. Love you!

Mom said...

I enjoyed your story today - Oumie and I were just talking this morning, and she was saying how she prays for her grandchildren that they would KNOW the Lord in deep personal ways, not just know about Him. She will be so happy to read your blog, and see how God has taken you from the sane train!!!! Bless you sweet girl, you are very special. Sorry about the dropped call today, Mom

Brian said...

Sometimes, rides on the so called "sane train" yield more opportunities for a complacency, a passive religiousity. May the Lord continue to reveal himself in new ways, giving you a living and active song in your heart as you minister.

Brian

Robbie said...

I love Jesus Calling - and it's exciting to know that he is calling you and me and so many others through the blessing of this book. I"m praying that you may know Jesus more and more!

Robbie