Monday, July 25, 2011

a psalm for Sierra Leone

You Will Shine
a psalm for Sierra Leone
by Paula Kirby



I choose to sing your song O Lord
for if I don't, I shall surely cry, and perhaps, never ever stop.

I'll cry for the evil of powerful men
who dig for diamonds in a soil not their own
and ravage the soul of a people.

I'll cry for a land shell-shocked and tattered
sitting glazed-eyed and squalid, ankle-deep in mud.

I'll cry for the horror of crazed, bedeviled minds
who weld fire into the chests of screaming children.

I'll wail fo rthe girls slapped, tied and tortured
forced to become women before their time
for their bellies stretched and hard some nine months later
and for thier screams, yet again, and again, in the night.

I'll cry for the still-born babies
       for the splintered families
              for forgiveness that cuts deeper than knives
for the severed limbs
       and the ripped flesh
              and the hearts torn and pummeled beyond hope.

I'll cry for you Sierra Leone -
and God in His mercy will turn my tears to prayer -
prayer for your beautiful land, for your lush and rolling hillsk for your people of promise

I will pray that you will rise,
       that the promise of God will prevail
              that love, in the end, will not fail.

I pray that your blood-washed land will be rained upon and showered with His Grace
       that you will know His kindness
              that you will see His scarred face.

For in His eyes all pain dissolves. In His heart all bitterness dies.
For like you, He too, was blood-soaked. Like you, He too, was bound and scarred,
yet sweeping away shame, He overcame and says, YOU TOO, SHALL RISE.

So I'll sing my song for you Sierra Leone. And I'll shout it louder than in truth
God will wipe away every tear. And before the power of His Love no fear can stand.
       Like your beaches, unsullied you will be.
              Like your hills, you will laugh and dance.
And like the diamonds in your soil, once again, bejewelled land, YOU WILL SHINE!






4 comments:

Dee said...

Beautiful!

Mom said...

I have a question - is Paula Kirby still working on the ship? We think we knew her from long ago.

Mom said...

I didn't realize that Blood Mountain/Sierra Leone were connected - I guess I did and had forgotten. Beautiful song

Lycia said...

Hey mom, no, she's not, I believe she works off the ship, and it's Blood Diamond :-), not blood mountain.. :-) And it's just a poem, I don't believe it's set to music :-) Love you!