Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm all aboard!

I'm here! After quite the trip around the world (Chicago, Belgium, Gambia and Sierra Leone) i'm all here. In one piece, and with my luggage intact. Thank goodness! I met 2 team members in Belgium already and then had the confidence that I wasn't going to be left behind after clearing immigration. The smiling faces of a local pastor, Pastor Mark and his wife Bridget, were the most beautiful thing I had seen since leaving home, so comforting to see them waving that "Mercy Ships" sign. They dropped us off at the ferry, and after a minor collision with an oncoming ferry (to the general mirth and lots of roaring from the local crowd) made our way across a large river to the government docks where the Africa Mercy is docked. It was dark by the time we made it to the ship, but it was brightly lit and could be seen from across the harbour, so it was a welcome sight.
  I got to meet my lovely cabin mates, 5 girls, 2 from australia and 3 from the US, (4 are nurses and 1 teacher.) Everybody has been very welcoming, but to say the least, there is some culture shock going on! Lots of Creole being spoken and being lost on this big ship! Port is to my left, and is not the side of the ship where the port is located, which is off to my right! Aft! Fore! This is where we muster in cast of an emergency and these ship blasts mean this and that! Everything from mustering to "get off the ship now!"
  But I've found where the coffee lives in the morning, and how to make the shower work (2 minutes each, please), so i consider the essentials learned.  Please pray for mercies as I get oriented to the unit on Thursday and Friday. (Also very different from home! 20 beds per ward; Men, women and children all together - apparently they get all depressed if they get separated :-)


Love you all, wish you were all here with me!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Lycia, so proud of you. We will keep you in our prayers as you share the love of Christ there. Blessings, Sharma

Sharon said...

How exciting!! I will definitely be praying for you and your ship mates on this adventure. You've already had quite a trip. I will love hearing about your experiences.

Kristi said...

Can't wait to talk to you tonight! Love you tons and tons and am SO thankful you made it safely and with your luggage!!!!!!

shirleymlindsey said...

You are one brave girl. I'm proud of you. Be careful and keep me posted. Love, Shirley

Karita said...

Well, Girl...you have me tearing up! God is soooo GOOD!! I'm so happy to hear your sense of humor in your adventure. I'm thanking the Father that you met some other Mercy Shippers along the way and you are safely aboard. Will pray for your orientation time and that the Spirit will lead you to keep seeing the funny side of testy moments. I just know He will bless you and those He puts in your life to touch with His love.

We love you!!!

6sanks said...

Shower. (however brief) Coffee. Sounds like your off to a good start. Bumper boats? Glad you made it safely. Love you. Your in my prayers.
Katie S.

Unknown said...

Glad that our prayers are answered and that you survived well enough to remember the stories! Keep them coming. You are very much loved & appreciated. Dad

Robbie said...

Lycia, we're so thankful to hear that you've arrived safely! We're praying for you. Now we're just starting to wonder how you're going to wash your hair with a 2 minute shower! :-)
Robbie

Nisey said...

Hello my darling,
Starboard is on your right, I only have a little Port left in my glass.
Ha, ha, Love you glad everything went well.
Love Nisey

Julie Fuller said...

So amazing! I'm looking forward to stories to come! I'm so glad you're writing a blog! I'm so proud of you, amazed by you, and in awe of you. You're an amazing nurse, an amazing friend, and an amazing woman. I'm sure that you will have an awesome journey and I'm glad I'll be able to follow you on your blog. I'll be sending lots of love and prayers your way! Can we send care packages? If so, how? Have fun and best wishes!
Always,
Julie

Angela said...

Soooooooo excited for you!!!! Still praying and love you tons!!! And if you have any lost missionary waifs turn up on your ship from Mozambique, they belong to me and please treat them nicely. :) But seriously...so glad to hear of you getting settled in, can't wait for more updates!!!!

~ A