Thursday, July 7, 2011

Smiling Faces

I just re-read the top sentence of my last post and it made me smile as I remembered another detail about leaving home. The love and hugs and smiles and family and friends who all poured their love and support was just the most heart-warming thing.... but pretty up there on the hilarious side was Mom, Dad, Brendon and Kristi each deciding to spontaneously burst out into boogey as I crossed through security at the airport, waving madly and each picking a funky dance. Ya'll family are nuts and I claim you all!

Another lovely ship tradition on my first day at work. A local church's praise team and church "family life" team come and do worship, just sing a few songs, on the ward in the middle of the day. The work doesn't stop, as I scrubbed one young chap's arm down with chlorhexidrine to get it amputated (car crash back in February - no medical attention since then left it gangrenous). They knew where he was headed, stopped and prayed for him. All heads bowed, and singing "Jesus he didn't forget me yet." This means him too. And me. I really struggled to not cry. He hans't forgotten me yet.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

We love you so much!!! And HE HASN'T FORGOTTEN YOU!!! And neither are/will we! Unos abrazos grandes!!!!

Leslie Greer said...

We love you and so does Jesus! You are a blessing to these patients.

AM said...

I like the Kristi comment. :0)

Nisey said...

Oh gosh, that is so sad. Poor guy, how horrid to lose an arm. I would have cried, it is important that we don't lose our compassion. Love you my darling little niece.

Anonymous said...

No one has forgotten you yet. I just have more time to plan pranks before your return.

Unknown said...

WOW I am so impressed with you! What a wonderful time!
Jill

Karita said...

I think of you so often during my day...thinking, "ok, it's x'hour here...what time is it in Sierra Leone?" "What could Lycia be up to now?" You are not forgotten by all of us who love you (and miss you) so very much. You are the daughter of THE KING!!! Interesting how my devotional was from Luke 6...showing mercy as Jesus has shown us mercy. ;) I love you, Nania!!